Wednesday, September 15, 2004

don't sweat over small stuff

check out this link -- another enlightenment....

--------------------
For the most part, women have never had it so good. Thanks to our mothers, grandmothers, and great-grandmothers, we've achieved equality with men (even if some men don't think so). We've made incredible strides in white- and blue-collar professional arenas, and we have broken strict gender barriers in nearly all industries. More than ever, we're respected by others and we respect ourselves. And we deserve it! We have more independence, options, and conveniences than ever, as well as the capacity to live rich, full lives.

ourselves, however, comes some very real confusion accompanied by a sense of being overwhelmed. Unlike the women who came in generations before us, we are lacking a concrete paradigm to live by. Instead, we are expected to do it all -- all the time. We have taken our ability to multi-task, and to accomplish a tremendous amount, to new levels. We are "super women" with much to celebrate -- yet we are exhausted!

One thing that hasn't changed very much is that many of us have a tendency to sweat the small stuff! Women are incredibly strong and, ironically, we do really well when the stakes are high. If there's a crisis, we're on top of it. If a friend is in need, we'll be there. If there's a sick child, turn to a woman for strength. If a sacrifice needs to be made, chances are, we will rise to the occasion and find a way to do what needs to be done.
On the other hand, we're the first to "lose it" over fairly small stuff! We can be nitpicky, petty, uptight, and tense. Many of us are perfectionists, overly controlling, and easily offended. We take things personally, and can be very reactive and dramatic. We're often quick to get bothered, irritated, and frustrated.
I had a great experience as Richard's co-author for Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love. I have to admit, however, that when Richard asked me to write solo for the first time for this book, a part of me wanted to hightail it as fast as I could in the other direction! However, I knew, after some contemplation, that this would be a challenge and a part of my own spiritual journey that I simply could not refuse. It gave me a chance to reflect upon and put into words those things that I had been attempting to practice for a lifetime.
I'd like you to know that the advice in this book is not coming from a woman who has any sort of superiority complex or any illusion that she has it all together. Far from it: I'm a normal everyday person who has either dealt with, or is currently dealing with, most of the issues and challenges in this book. To one degree or another, most of us have struggled with body image, family choices, budgets, men, friends, lifestyle, time management, communication issues, parenting, and balance. I certainly have. This is the stuff life is made of, and from which none of us are exempt!
I suppose that my greatest asset is that, like Richard, I'm a genuinely happy person most of the time. I tend to see the glass half full instead of half empty. I've always felt grateful to be a woman and to be alive. Happiness and peace of mind have always been a priority. Because of my basic nature and the efforts I've taken in this direction, I've come to see that it's not necessary (most of the time) to sweat the small stuff. My goal in writing this book is to point you in that general direction. I've found that the less bothered I become, the more I'm able to celebrate being female.
--------------------------

Mom is back! Everybody is happy....my dad & brothers can't wait to have a healthy meals after 1 month, sister is grateful that now her reliable baby sitter is around, and I am happy that my sms partner is in town now. Mom brought back 9 luggage in total!! This time, mom gained 2 extra kgs - she always gains weight everytime she is back from Taiwan!